Saturday, June 21, 2014

Hay..!

My husband knows how to delight me. He surprised me with a very romantic gift. 100 bales of hay.




He arranged to buy them "in the field," which means we got a great price, but had to go get them ourselves.



After a long day at work, I rode happily (and illegally) in the back of the truck, grinning like a fool as we bumped over the field. Ziva rode with me, her first time loose in the bed of a pick up. Her tongue lolled, her tail wagged. She thought this was a fine new thing. We didn't go far, just across the street from our house, but it still felt a bit like an adventure.

The stubble of the new mown grass brushed against the soles of my boots as we rode. We'd get to a pile of bales, and stop the truck. Ziva and I would get out. She would nose around the meadow, smelling wonderful things I will never know about. Chris and I would put as many bales as we could into the bed of the truck.



Then we'd bump along back home, unload the fragrant bundles of feed and do it all over again. Chris and I find a certain joy in working together. We like to tackle a project and be side by side as we see it to completion.

Though today is summer solstice, we spent it getting ready for cold weather. The horse and goats now have much of the food they will eat during the cold weather stashed safely under cover. And that delights me.

No comments: