Monday, September 16, 2019

Good news..!

Travis, our wonderful farrier, came out today. It was he who suggested, last spring, that I put together a paddock for the donkeys, with sand or stone dust, to keep them out of the mud. When he pulled up today he was excited to see newly installed sandy area and bright new fence. I was waiting anxiously to see if it had made any difference in the donkeys hooves.  Regular blog readers will remember that Sarah donkey had terrible hoof problems, which started last November. We spent months giving her medicated soaks, and wrapping her feet.We gave her special dietary supplements and oral medications, too.  They got a lot better, then when the spring mud season came, they deteriorated again. That was when the paddock project was set into motion.

Today, Abraham volunteered to have his feet trimmed first, and got a mostly good report.  Then Jingle/Jezebel, who has very healthy hooves had her pedicure.  Finally it was Sarah's turn. I think I held my breath a little, because when the first (and worst) hoof looked quite healthy, I heaved a deep sigh.  All in all her feet look pretty good, and Travis was pleased.  The donkeys spend a lot of time on the sand in the paddock, even though I have been keeping the gate open and they can roam the pasture as they please.  The sand is soft and deep, and must feel good on their legs.  Travis explained that it fills their hooves when they stand on it, and that the pressure of that encourages blood flow, which is important for hoof health. Also, the sand is abrasive, wearing old tissue away as they walk, and this helps, too.  So, our expensive project is paying off, and I couldn't be more relieved.

Shortly after Travis left, we had more donkey visitors. The woman who owned Jingle/Jezebel almost all her life, and her son who is visiting from another state, had asked if they could stop by.  I was anxious to see how our newest donkey responded to them. Donkeys are smart, and don't forget a friend. Abraham brayed when he saw folks entering the pasture, and he and Sarah came right up to say hello.  "Jingle!" called the woman, and two long, fuzzy years pricked forward.

I don't know what Jingle was thinking, but she stood a long time while her old friends patted her, and slipped sliced carrots between her velvet lips. The other two donkeys horned in on the treat taking, too.

The visitors checked out the donkey dorm, and commented on how well their girl looked. "Her coat is much softer," said her previous owner. I suspect it is the vitamin and mineral supplement she has been getting. After about 15 minutes of visiting and pats, Jingle walked to the end of new sandy area. She and Abraham had a quick game of "bite the donkey," and then her previous humans headed home. I assured them that they are welcome to visit any time. I hope they will take me up on it.

It's been a happy morning for the equines of FairWinds. And that makes me happy, too.




No comments: