Sunday, November 24, 2019

Party ready...

I get ideas in my head about little things I want to accomplish. Having a deadline such as an upcoming holiday is a bonus, because it encourages me to get things done and not just sit on my plans.Sometimes I get a little help...Chris happily tromped through some brush to get me winter berries and greens.

These found their way into the window box on the chicken coop, and here...

Today was rainy and cold, taking away my incentive to clean the chicken and duck houses. Instead I did a few things to get ready for Thanksgiving. I made up a batch of dough to make pie crusts. It will wait in the coldest part of the refrigerator until I bake on Wednesday.  I made my famous rum cake, because it actually improves if it sits a few days.
Bright cranberries were cooked with some orange zest, sugar and water, to make a tasty sauce to accompany the turkey.

I polished the bright work on the wood stove, and cleaned soot off the glass. I should do this more often, but it's not a fun task. It is a pleasure to see the flames more clearly when the glass is freshly cleaned, and the light reflects nicely off the brass. I really should make this a monthly event. Flirt doesn't care either way, she just likes to be warm.

Evans stopped in and sat a while, sharpening the knives I will use to prepare the upcoming feast. That was a special kindness.

I put a final coat of appliance paint on the top of our peeling freezer. It doesn't look great, but it does look better. I have a few other small chores to accomplish in the next three days, but mostly I am ready for the house to be filled with the happy chatter that accompanies a good party.

The little solar lights on the Donkey dorm look cheery, as does the illuminated arbor. I love the window candles glowing during these long, dark, nights.

Even the Silkies get in on the action, with a wee light in the window of their coop, shining out bravely over the pine in the window box. 

Let the winter holidays begin. We are ready.

No comments: