Monday, May 18, 2020

Window glass...

I am more fortunate than many, because when I look out my windows I am surrounded by beauty. And animals. During these weeks of "stay at home," I suspect many people have spent more time than usual looking at the world through window glass.

When I opened my home grooming studio, one of the first things I did was put a multiple hook bird feeding station close by, so I could see it while I worked. The birds found it within hours, and it is popular throughout the year.  This past Saturday was mostly sunny and clear, and the birds really put on a show for us. I got my long lens out for my camera, and before the day was done took well over 100 pictures, mostly of birds.

There were the common birds we see all year, like this charming Tufted Titmouse.

 And the cheery, ever-present Chickadees were abundant.

I was entranced watching the Bluebirds build their nest.

The female (above) seemed to do most of the choosing and carrying of nesting material, then busily arranging it once inside.I could see flurries of movement as she tugged material though the door and fixed it to her liking. Bluebirds make their nests of grasses, pine needles and plant matter, then line them with feathers or fine grass.

 The male did a lot of hunting for bugs. At one point he spent several minutes smacking the squirming life out of a fat caterpillar, then flew to his bride, who was resting in a nearby tree,  and fed it to her.

 He also stood guard on top of the nest box, quarreling with any bird that got too close or showed too much interest in their home.

An unusual visitor here this time of year was a pretty White Crowned Sparrow.



A flash of orange caught my eye. A female Baltimore Oriel swooped to the feeder. Moments later her mate joined her, but was camera shy. We put orange halves out and they were drawn to them. I wish they would stay around, but they never seem to.


Later in the day a small flock of Bohemian Waxwings drifted in, and gobbled up the dried fruit hanging from the crab apple tree. They startled when I opened the door to take their picture, and didn't come back. 

At one point I looked out to see these decidedly not air-born creatures, all resting at once. 


Sarah and Abraham often touch when they nap together. They are sweetly bonded to each other.

Each day I am grateful to look through the glass of any room and see trees, meadows, and life both wild and not.

No comments: