Monday, September 14, 2020

Many good things...

 I spent most of the day away from home today, which is rare for me. It started out nicely by being treated to breakfast at the wonderful Hartstone Inn with my customer/friend Karen.We dined royally, and had a nice chat. That was sweet. Then I ran a bunch of errands. I went to the hardware store, and to TJMaxx for the first time since Covid. I took my time, steeping myself in retail therapy, something I have not done in ages. I even stooped so low as to run into the Dollar Tree, a store I loathe, because I needed a specific thing, cheap. More on that in a moment. 

After that I went to a doctors appointment because my ankle has been sore on and off for months. I've been limping so much that now my knee hurts, too. He looked me over and said, (and I quote) "Well, you are all jacked up." He thinks he can fairly easily remedy the situation and wants to see me again in two weeks. This was encouragingly good news. 

When I got home I went to work with the items from the Dollar Tree. 

Last year I made a beautiful arrangement in the little coop window box with dried flowers. It looked terrific for two days, then it rained and all was lost. So this year I went with tacky fake leaves, flowers and a cute little scarecrow. It's bright and festive and quite happy to look at, (as long as you don't look too close.) 

Last spring my neighbor/friend Penny gifted me with some dahlia tubers. They are blooming now, beautifully. 


And the duck that was dragged and injured by a fox 8 days ago? She is doing quite well! She has a little limp, and rests more than the other ducks, but she seems stronger each day. 


Best of all, I think, is how delightful the little pugs are. They have changed a lot in just the last few days, playing with each other, toddling around, making little "grrrr" sounds and one even wagged her tail today. It's a whole lot of cuteness in one space. 

They are three weeks old now. Soon we will introduce some solid food and I think Opal will be relieved to not be their soul source of sustenance. 



Here at the farmlette, despite listening to the news each day, I am able to forget, sometimes, what a mess the our country is in right now. I am able to focus on the animals and wonderful people that surround me instead. On my rare days "out in the world," it is all so much more clear.I find myself feeling a bit overwhelmed and depressed. 

Then I come home, and see my sturdy house beckoning. The flowers are cheerful and the dogs leap with joy to see me. Chris greets me with a kiss, and the beautiful flag snaps smartly in the cool breeze. I am reminded that there so many good things.


No comments: