Monday, October 19, 2020

W.O.W. (Way Out West) weekend...

 Last Christmas Chris gifted me with three "Golden Tickets." One of them was for a "Romantic Weekend Getaway." He plotted and planned, and the second weekend in October he whisked me off to collect on my gift. I didn't know what our destination was, except it would be to the west of home. We left early on Saturday, stopped in Augusta to run a few errands, then headed off down some beautiful roads. The day was sunny and fine, and the foliage stunning. 

We drove for about 2 hours, past lakes and over hills, viewing vistas that had me sighing happily. After a while we reached a picturesque little town and I said, "Oh, this is cute. We should come explore here sometime." Chris grinned delighedly as he turned into the driveway of a beautiful inn. "I'm glad you like it, this is where we are staying." 


It was a little too soon to check in so we rode around until we found a likely place to grab a bite of lunch. After we checked in we walked around the glorious grounds, checked out where the heated outdoor pool was, and explored a bit.  We enjoyed a nice supper that evening, then went to our suite where we sat before a warm fire and listened to a wild thunderstorm rage outside. It was lovely. 

The next morning we visited a fabulous bakery and grabbed freshly made bagels to go, then off we went. 


The plan for this day was to explore Rangeley. Neither of us had been there before. I wish I could describe what a gift the light was that day as we drove. The birch trees fairly glowed, their bark bright as if they were lit from within, their leaves looking as if they were ignited. 

Rangeley is in the lakes region, and we were treated to views of rivers and lakes around almost every turn. 

This pretty female Mallard duck walked right up, so close I could feel her feathers brush past my ankle. 

The scenery was so incredible, I kept saying, "Wow," over and over again. Chris swooped his car off at an overlook. 


We drank this vista in like it was fine wine. The sun was warm on our faces, but the air hovered just above freezing. Giddy with beauty, we continued on, back down the mountain to where the foliage still shone in all its October splendor. 

In Rangeley we walked up and down the main street, popped into a store or two, and had a magnificent lunch on a deck overlooking the lake. Then we traveled a different route back to our inn, with more scenes that made me utter, "Wow." 

I found this full sized horse statue in Bethel. 

On it's face it has the Emerson quote, "The earth laughs in flowers." 
I decided that in the fall, it chortles with leaves.

We headed for the heated pool. Once I was in, Chris vanished. I swam laps, my head in the cool fall air, my body in the deliciously warm water. I had the place to myself, except for a small group of little girls who were playing mermaid off to one side of the pool. Their mothers supervised from lounge chairs, wearing fleece jackets and cozy scarves. "My name will be Rosa," said one little fish to the others, but you can call me Rosie." Another said, "My mermaid name is Isabella, but you can call me Bella." The littlest one, her arms clasped around the neck of a bigger girl loudly announced, "And there is an ARMY OF UNICORNS!" I chuckled and thought back fondly to the days I had my own wee mermaid. 

Chris returned and handed me a delicious glass of Grand Mariner. We canoodled and sipped, then finally dragged ourselves into the chilly air and headed back to our room. I stopped by the patient mothers and said, "I enjoyed your girls so much." One said, "Oh, we were hoping they were not bothering you!" The other said, "We were a little jealous, you out there by yourself, enjoying your drink, with no kids demanding your attention." I assured them that I was not at all bothered, and said, "I enjoyed my time alone today, but don't be in a rush, this season with little kids will pass so quickly." 

The seasons are flying by. Chris makes me stop to enjoy them by planning special times like this. This Golden Ticket weekend was a lottery winner. 





No comments: