Monday, April 12, 2021

Serendipity...

 My niece, Aimee, and I  share many common interests. We are both bookworms, enjoy knitting (though she's far better at it than I am), are delighted by babies and small children, and admire vintage, slightly shabby home decor. We also find that we are both drawn to similar types of jewelry. 

Many years ago she sent me a picture of an aquamarine ring she thought I would like. It was Art Deco style, with a light, watery blue emerald-cut stone set in white gold. I had to have it and splurged mightily to buy it for myself. I wear it constantly, and am so fond of it I even gave it a name, "Oceania." 

Aimee and my daughter Rachel both openly covet my ring, and though they've never had a cousin-quarrel, they promise that when I die there will be a screaming fight, including hair pulling, to see who wins ownership of Oceania.  It's all said in jest, of course, but I do worry that there will be hurt feelings one day when one of them pries the beauty off of my cold, dead hand. 

Aimee came to visit last weekend. I was very smart 10 years ago and foisted a puppy off on her. The puppy requires grooming and is not terribly well behaved about it, so Aimee drives 2.5 hours to see me every few months so I can spiff the little thing up. This works brilliantly because I get to visit with her, and she gets to take home a clean dog. While she's here we try to cook her a favorite meal, and if we have time, we hit an antique store or two.  This time we headed to a favorite spot in Camden. We wandered happily from booth to booth, admiring old, white-painted wicker items, charming glassware, whimsical figurines, and more. It was a lovely little interlude. 

Then Aimee pointed out a ring in a huge wall display of jewelry. I glanced at it and asked the woman at the desk if we could take a closer look. Low and behold it was nearly a twin to my ring! 


Similar lovely filagree, similar pretty watery-blue stone, and the price was pennies over a gift card Aimee had received for Christmas. So now there will (hopefully) be no screaming, hair-pulling fight between cousins upon my demise. And Aimee and I can sport twin rings. Serendipity is an important factor in maintaining family harmony. 


No comments: