Sunday, May 9, 2021

Mother's Day...

 Sister Deb came to spend the weekend. Saturday we headed to Camden, hit an antique store or two, and did a little exploring.  I found this pretty lace table runner for the dining room. 


Today we cooked. We are a good team in the kitchen, and today's project was special. Deb and I, both mothers, were using our mother's macaroni and cheese recipe to make a big batch of the stuff. That is because next weekend we are celebrating the fact that Rachel's long-time friend is about to become a mother by throwing her a baby shower. 

Deb got all the stuff out, and we remembered that when Chris shopped yesterday he forgot the gallon of milk.  Deb grabbed her keys, "I'll ride up to the store and grab milk."  I shook my head, "Nope. We'll drive up to Terra Optima and get milk from grass-fed Jersey cows. You can see baby goats and piglets while we are there. Way more fun than a store."  Because she is smart, she agreed. 


When we got back, Deb sliced the huge blocks of "wicked sharp" cheddar. 


I grated it. And remembered how much I love my food processor. And how much I enjoy cooking in my well-equipped kitchen. Especially with my sister. 

We used milk, some cream, an obscene about of butter, and a lot of motherly love and whipped up three big pans of yumminess. 


We topped it all with a thick layer of buttery Ritz cracker crumbs, and a generous sprinkle of MORE cheese. 

Then we swaddled it up and tucked it into the freezer to await the upcoming festivities. 

Mothers, doing what we do, getting ready to celebrate a new mom. It was a perfect way to celebrate the day. 


No comments: