Thursday, June 23, 2022

Windows to the world...

One of the many charms of this old house is the many windows allowing views in every direction. I took this picture of baby goat Glory through a window. She was dancing on the platform we call Billy Goat Gruff Bridge. Moxie seems to be admiring her moves. 


 Many (ok, most!) of the windows are old. They can be cantankerous to open and shut. Winter storms blow through them, billowing the curtains with puffs of icy air. The screens are questionable, causing me to despair in hot weather and allowing all manner of spiders and biting bugs inside where they do not belong. One window had a frame that was so rotted we could not open or shut it all, and it caused me a lot of worries. I've been trying to get someone to replace it for a couple of years. People give me a quote and never show up to do the work. Maddening. 

In March, I called Anderson Windows, and they came out to give us an estimate. They were prompt and professional.  I wanted to have three of the most problematic windows replaced. The windows cost a lot more than we had hoped, but we arranged to have them replaced.  They told us it would be months before they could come out, probably late summer or early fall.  My fantasy of having nicely screened windows for the summer went down the drain. 

To my delight, they called yesterday and said they had a cancellation and could install my windows today. I did a little happy dance on the spot. They arrived early this morning and jumped right into cutting the old windows out. It took a few hours, but soon the team cleaned up and headed off to the next job. 

The new windows are weather tight, with lovely, functional screens. They tilt in for easy cleaning and look fantastic. All the better to catch views like this: 
Bravo trying to get a broiler chick to play. He waited and waited, to no avail. And I saw it all through my marvelous new windows. 




No comments: