Sunday, December 18, 2022

December bounty...

We invited friends over to bake and decorate sugar cookies last week. It was fun and festive; women gathered in the kitchen, passing the baby from hip to hip, chatting and creating sweetness. 


 
It happened to be Flirt's 13th birthday. She was happy to have company here, especially at the end of the day when one of her favorite guys came by. She thought his visit was a gift just for her and melted happily into his big arms, squinting her joy. 

A storm came through, with warm winds bringing rain, then the temperature dropped, and snow fell, leaving a slushy, icy coating. 

It was too heavy and wet for the snow blower and was challenging to shovel. Chris braved it, clearing the path and steps and making room for customers to park their cars, but it was sloppy and difficult. A few hours later, I heard an unusual-sounding motor as I was collecting logs for the woodstove from the deck. It was my neighbor returning from clearing his mother-in-law's driveway with his tractor. I thought about how kind he was. A moment later, he swung into my driveway and handily scraped the remainder of the ice and slush. Kindness beyond measure. 

I finished my Christmas decorating by putting red and green bandanas on the goats. They look festive. 
The countdown to Christmas is upon us. Customers bring gifts and treats and shower us with happy seasonal wishes. It always makes me smile when they leave with a happy pet on the end of a leash and say, "Love you!" as they go. It's a joyful season at FairWinds. 


 

No comments: