Friday, June 16, 2023

Flower Season...

 I recently read something that said, "Anyone can have a pretty garden in June." My gardens are evidence of this; all my plants look healthy and are blooming up a storm. 

These happy pansies are called "Cat's Whiskers" and are well-named. They are big, showy blossoms and are smile-worthy. 
This iris and its companions were mailed to me as bulbs from a lovely woman I've never met. They are huge, 5 or so inches tall for each bloom, and the sweetest shade of lavender. Such kindness. 


My little front garden is growing nicely. I was so pleased to be able to plant it myself 3 weeks after getting my new knee. Seeing each plant grow and putting out brilliant blooms feels like a little victory. 

My friend Nance brought me some unusual and stunning peonies. I put them in a favorite vase and enjoyed them tremendously for days. 

One morning a few petals had fallen artistically on the table. They looked so pretty that I left them where they fell. Later that day, we sat down to lunch, and suddenly, without so much as a nudge, one of the flowers practically exploded. 

I've never seen anything like it. Poof, petals everywhere! It was a glorious surprise. 

Our friends Angel and her daughter Fields arrived on Memorial Day. Having them visit is always a treat, and we had a good time catching up. Angel took over much of the cooking while she was here.  Her daughter quipped, "Mom says she is just going to whip up a little something, and before you know it, there is a three-course meal of the most delicious food you've ever had on the table." That was accurate. 
We were sad to see them leave, but niece Aimee arrived for a quick spend-the-night before the guest room could get lonely. She brought a gift she had knit for me. 

The happiest little bear with a fat summer strawberry. She says there will be seasonal additions coming to keep the bear company... I am imagining a pumpkin for autumn, a snowman for winter... or whatever her fertile imagination and talented fingers come up with. Can you believe she created this little wonder with needles and yarn? He has a LOT of personality, and the most winsome smile.  

Today I cleaned the little chicken coop and the goat cozy. While I worked, I provided a moveable feast for the black flies; they seemed glad to have me outside. I scrubbed water tanks and puttered around, enjoying a sunny day after several gray ones. It's a pleasure to watch my animals, even when they do something naughty like hang out on the picnic table, a place they are forbidden to visit. TheDonald cares not for rules. He is cheeky; he crows at me when I notice him being where he does not belong. 

It is flower season, and FairWinds is blooming with gardens, visitors, feasts, and fun. 




No comments: