Maine is known as "Vacationland," and my guest room can attest that this rocky edge of the country is a nice place to be in the summer. For starters, three Jersey cows and one sweet Hereford were here grazing the pasture for several weeks. They didn't make use of the guest room, but they did fancy up the place with their good looks. They left recently, and I am sad to gaze out at the pasture and not see them. They were lovely to look at, and they did a fine job of mowing and fertilizing the field. Of course, I can still admire my own sleek little goats frolicking about. I'm not sure they'd admit it, but I think they miss the bovine beauties, too.
My cousin Chris and my sister Deb have been here. My childhood pal, Melanie, visited, as did my sweet dog training friend, Sumac. Chris's beloved sisters came from Texas in July. It felt so strange that Chris was not here with them.
Niece Aimee came next, with her handsome and pleasant beau, and they oh-so-kindly noticed my sad, unplanted window boxes. They went right out and bought lovely flowers and got them put in. It was one of the many jobs I have been oddly apathetic about in my grief, but having them planted makes me smile.
They also cooked lobsters, painstakingly cleaned every speck of meat from the shells, and created the hands-down best lobster roll I have ever had the pleasure of savoring. I'm still thinking about it.
Oh... and splendid margaritas, too.More visitors are slated to arrive this month; I'm looking forward to all of them!








No comments:
Post a Comment