Friday, August 16, 2019

Excellent Friday...

The work day started out with a new customer bringing in her Bichon to be groomed. Tucked under her arm was a 3 month old French Bulldog puppy. Not much bigger than a coffee can, it dangled over her forearm, all ears and cuteness. The lady generously let us hold the wee thing and even sneak a few kisses. That was a nice beginning. The rest of the day went quite smoothly, we even had time to wash my Bravo dog, and now he smells delicious.

 We have been working late every day for weeks, but tonight we were through by 4:00. This was good because we had a worry. One of our customers is an older gentleman who lives alone. We had been trying to call him today, but there was no response. So we drove to his  house. We rang the bell, peered in the windows. Everything neat as a pin, but no dog to be seen, and no answer.  So we went to his neighbors house. There we found out that the gentleman had been ill, but is safely in a rehabilitation. Much relieved, we hatched a plan to go visit him soon.

Next we headed off to the Farmers Market.  It's a summer tradition we cherish, but have not had a chance to go yet all season.  We were not disappointed.

Musicians sent lovely music floating across the common. Kids played and raced about.

 A talented potter made magic happen before our eyes, and patiently answered a curious little girls questions about his craft.


When Rachel and I stopped to admire a handsome baby, the daddy kindly let Rachel hold him. He was beyond adorable, and smelled like baby.We were both entranced.

We brought home some treats for supper.


Delicious fresh beans, corn picked this afternoon, and a tasty baguette. I already had some pork chops from a pig we raised here thawed and marinating, ready for the grill.  

 I poured some good olive oil in a little bowl, and then crushed a few cloves of garlic into it. I added a splash of balsamic vinegar, all the while remembering the first time I had bread with a good, garlic infused oil.  I was in Texas with my friend Chez at a grooming convention. We slipped out and drove around until we found an Italian restaurant. They brought us delicious bread with garlic oil, and I had rarely ever eaten anything so tasty. I could have happily skipped my meal that night, and just feasted on the bread and oil. Now I fix it for a special treat from time to time, and savor the food as much as the memory.
I brought a tray with everything we needed for supper out to the picnic table. I put the corn on the grill, and we had our first "silly corn" of the season. My niece Aimee taught me how to make this. We've tweaked it a little, but basically it's roasted corn, brushed with mayonnaise, then sprinkled with fresh cilantro, a little Adobo seasoning, and topped off with a generous squeeze of fresh lime juice. It's so good it's silly. We enjoyed our farmers market feast, watching the goats frolic and donkeys graze.


When the rosy sun settled behind the trees it was time to tuck in all the animals. As I locked up the poultry we heard two owls serenading from the woods. The duck coop boasts two mama ducks sitting on eggs, and a proud father duck supervising. I like knowing they are safe from the creatures of the night in their snug little house. 

And then we are snug in ours, and an excellent Friday is done. 

No comments: