Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Twins...

During these strange days of Covid 19, taking care of the animals at FairWinds is both uplifting and grounding. The timing of the birth of the twins has been helpful. They are pure joy on tiny hooves.

If you have never held a baby goat, let me describe the experience to you. Their bodies are about the size of an average sized cat. Their legs are long, but when you pick them up they tend to just fold those legs up against their bodies and snuggle in. Their fur is dense and soft, and they smell like a blend of fresh cut hay, spicy pine, and the sweetness of milk. Of course, they are warm, and a delight to snuggle.

We named the doeling Hope, because new life is hope for the future in a difficult time. The buckling is Iggy. He is named after a groomer friends father, who is elderly and interested in the pictures and stories of the critters here. When my friend showed him a picture of the kids he said, "She should name one Iggy after me". So I did. Here is Iggy in a bucket.

And Hope posing for a selfie with me. 
Today I introduced the kids to Bliss, who is technically their half sister. She is due to deliver her own kids any day now, and checked the babies out with some interest. In the past we have had adult goats that tried to kill other goats babies. It is nice that she and Spirit are kind to each others offspring. This afternoon I let each donkey sniff the new arrivals. They have seen them through the fence, and checked them out with evident curiosity. I am hoping that when we let everyone hang out together things will go smoothly. It's always a worry, the donkeys are so big, and the kids so small.

There are hints of green coming up in the winter-brown grass. New bird voices join in the spring time chorus every day. And inside, there is forsythia blooming, thanks to sister Donna, who reminded me to go cut some bare twigs a few weeks ago and put them in water. Of course, there are those baby goats, full of sweetness and joy. In difficult times I try to focus on all the goodness around me.

No comments: