Sunday, June 28, 2020

Fair fowl...

Our neighbors at the goat dairy have peacocks. They roam about, often hanging out in the road. No one seems to care, because they are just so darn pretty.

Rachel and I visited the dairy yesterday, and I was delighted that this guy hung out within touching distance. He did a lot of loud yelling, but in small doses even that was enchanting.

I had never been close enough to a peacock to notice the green fringe that hangs down along the bottom row of the fan. It's iridescent, and an incredible addition to an already show stopping display.

I even like the rear view. That little ruffle! I thought for one moment that we might need some pea fowl here at FairWinds. Then I decided I'll just visit these from time to time.


One of my customers is a professional photographer. She has a lens on her camera as long as my arm. I may be a wee bit envious. She captured this picture of one of my White Rock hens out patrolling the meadow for a bug lunch.

                                                (photo credit Sarah Beard Buckley.)

Today was the day that our 9 week old broilers went to have a date with destiny. We are trying out a new butcher this year, much closer to home. Normally we have to be up at dawn to catch the birds, tuck them into dog crates and then drive an hour to drop them off by 7:00 AM. This place is only about 15 minutes from home.  We raised more birds this year, so Rachel and her husband can have some. It was a good thing, too, because Rachel ended up sharing their care with Chris while I was healing up from surgery. I'm glad she can look forward to a freezer full of pastured poultry to enjoy all winter. We were not sure if we had enough room in our old dog crates to fit 35 very large birds for transport. Neighbor Cheryl offered the use of her chicken crates. In the past I thought they looked cruel because they are not very tall, and the birds looks packed in. The reality is that the flooring is kinder to their feet than the slippery dog kennel trays, and the snugger space keeps them from flapping about and hurting themselves. They stayed very calm in these crates. I think I will have to get some for next year.

The pasture seems empty without the tubby birds tottering around. I am glad to not be worrying about them being too hot during the day, or getting gobbled up by a fox at night. Raising broilers is always a bit of bit of work and worry.  They are messy, too, but it makes us feel good to know that the chickens we eat had a wonderful life They had plenty of room,dust wallows to roll in, tall grass to nibble and hide in, endless supplies of good food and fresh water. They only had one bad day.  I will forget all about the work of raising them and the sadness of butcher day by next spring. Then I will delight in the arrival of tiny peeping balls of fluff. And every time I roast a tasty bird all year I will feel grateful.

No comments: