Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Knitting...

When I was a young teenager I had the good fortune to date a guy who had a wonderful mother. She took me under her wing and taught me how to cook, how to sew, and how to knit. I knitted a bit, on and off, for many years. I could make rudimentary things... scarves, afghans, simple hats. I made a baby blanket for my nephew, a sofa throw for my mom. When my daughter was tiny she was interested in knitting and I taught her how. She has far exceeded my skills, knitting lace shawls and socks, mittens and complex patterned things. Meanwhile I lost interest. Long ago I parted with my needles, and have not missed them. 

My neighbor friend recently bought a yarn store, The Cashmere Goat in Camden, Maine.  I went in with my knitting niece, and she bought some pretty yarn. I found myself mesmerized by the lovely displays of wool and blends. So many luscious colors and textures. My fingers began to "itch" a bit. Maybe I'd like to knit something. 

My niece makes adorable knitted pumpkins and has gifted me with many of them. Some are tiny, some larger, all wonderful. I decorate with them every autumn. It occurred to me that I might like to try creating one.

The pattern used double pointed needles, something I've never tried.  Rachel kindly cast the pattern on for me, and from there it was a bit of a learning curve, but simple enough to make. And I enjoyed it. Over the last weekend I spent some time in the car, a perfect place to have a hand craft to while away the hours. In no time I had the pattern almost completed.  

Today I finished it up, refreshing my memory on old skills like how to decrease stitches, and how to cast off when the job is done. Low and behold, I created a soft little pumpkin! 


I feel a happy sense of accomplishment. It's been too long since I indulged in a handicraft. I enjoyed this project, and am pondering what would be fun to make next. The pretty yarn at the Cashmere Goat is calling to me. Winter is coming. I might need a new hat! 



No comments: