Sunday, November 15, 2020

Productive Saturday...

 Today started sweetly, with a shell pink sunrise tinting the windows. I stayed in bed a little later than usual, savoring that "day off," feeling. When I went downstairs and opened the door to let the dogs out, I started to lean my sleepy head out to check the weather. Something caught my eye and I froze... a spider the size of a nickel was dangling in the doorway, right at face level. I narrowly missed smacking into it. That woke me up! I caught its silk with my broom and gently lifted it outside. It dropped like a stone, hitting the deck with an audible "thud."

I tidied up the house, Chris made breakfast. 

As the stack of pancakes hit the table, I had a wave of missing our summer guest, Hannah Fields. She captured the feeling of weekend mornings quite well with this charming "recipe:"

Just as we were mopping up the last sticky drops of sweet maple syrup, Brenda arrived. Every year she kindly decorates our pretty arbor, and today was the day. Her car was filled with evergreen boughs, and she went right to work creating her magic. It was a treat to hang out with her a little and catch up, it's been too long. 


Tomorrow we will twine white lights amid the greens to complete the picture. 

I went to work cleaning animal houses while the weather was fine. I was about half way through the project when I heard a tractor trundling down the road.  I had asked Cheryl to come by sometime and spread out our manure pile. This will fertilize the pasture as well as make things look more tidy. The pile didn't look very big until she started scooping up bucket loads, then we could see how deep it really was. The donkeys were fascinated and all came to greet her. Abraham followed her about. 



Meanwhile Chris did the weekly grocery shopping, ran a bunch of errands, then came home and took trash and recycling to the transfer station. 

I finished cleaning two chicken coops, one duck house, the goat cozy and donkey dorm. Each space looked bright and tidy, and smelled like fresh pine shavings. I filled up all the feeders and rinsed and filled all the water containers. Time for a little rest, then company here for supper. Chris cooked schnitzel, one of his specialties. After a productive day this feast was just right. 

One thing marred our lovely day. My sister called and said that due to Covid she and her family will not be able to join us for Thanksgiving. I would rather have been smacked in the face by a cold spider than have heard this news. For 17 years they have filled our home with added holiday joy, laughter and SO much help with the celebration! Not to mention, no one makes gravy like my sister. Like so many other things this year, Thanksgiving will just not be the same. I feel bereft. 



No comments: