Thursday, December 17, 2020

Big snow...

They predicted a big storm was coming, and the weather turned very cold. Between grooming pets yesterday, I dashed out for brief periods and cleaned the chicken coops and donkey dorm. I'd finish one, come in and thaw out while I worked, then tackle another while Rachel bathed the next pet.  I like knowing all the animals have clean, dry bedding when bad weather is coming, and felt quite accomplished to finish the busy work day knowing I'd done all those extra chores, too.

When I woke this morning it was 13 degrees outside, but no snow had fallen. I started to put the donkey and goat hay out in the pasture to encourage them to move about (and poop OUTSIDE!) but the wind was strong enough to just scatter the hay, so they got room service. I put the chickens fresh food and water outside for the same reason. Before I got done with chores a few flakes of snow began to fall. Within 20 minutes the ground was covered. I trooped back outside and moved the birds food and water into the coop. They refuse to go out in the snow. They got a little  warm oatmeal to supplement their regular grub, it seemed fitting on a cold morning. 

There was hardly any traffic due to the snow, so I walked Bravo up the road a little ways, letting him race about on the snowy street to his hearts content. He loved it, and has asked politely for a repeat performance, but I'm staying in a while.  He and Flirt had breakfast of sirloin steak that had been accidentally thawed when a friends freezer malfunctioned,  then snuggled in. 
Flirt never fails to be in the warmest spot.


The wild birds seem glad the feeders are full, and practically need an air traffic controller to keep them from colliding as they zoom in and out to dine. 

Inside the house is cozy. The Christmas decorations are festive, and the kettle of water on the woodstove has cinnamon sticks and cloves in it, so the air smells spicy and sweet. Watching the snow come down I think, for the millionth time, about my friend Terese. How she loved Christmas time, and she maintained a childhood wonder of snow until the day she died. She would have loved being here today, watching this storm. Living in the south almost her entire life, the snows she experienced were brief and rare. Last year, when she was sick and in and out of the hospital, we talked almost every day. I would usually call her after I was done with work. I'd sit by the wood stove and we'd have a good chat. How fortunate I am to have warm memories of her... but how I wish she could be here to share this with me. 

We had a happy surprise this week when our friend Jean popped in for a (masked) visit. It's been way too long since we saw her. She is one of Flirts most very favorite humans, and they had a sweet little reunion. She brought us kind gifts and we had a brief but jolly chat before she was off again. 

Because of the storm all our grooming customers have been moved to Saturday. Today will be spent working on other projects, writing and being quiet. I'll make a pot roast early and let it cook low and slow, perfuming the house as it does. 

My brother in Vermont says they have 33 inches of snow and it's still coming down. My sister in Massachusetts reports about 18 inches of powder, and more on the way. Looking out my window there is a curtain of snow falling so fast and thick I can barely see the trees at the edge of the property. Soon I will bundle up and go out to take more food and water to the animals... then enjoy this quiet day of  big snow. 


No comments: