Sunday, December 27, 2020

Noel '20...

 I felt I had this whole adulting thing under control this holiday season. My decorations went up right after Thanksgiving, and I was pleased with how everything looked. I started shopping early, and had thoughtful gifts nicely wrapped and under the tree long before Christmas. Groomers tend to work too hard this time of year, because everyone wants their dog pretty for the holiday. One groomer I know said, "I'm living on coffee, Redbull and cookies. I can't wait for it to be over."  Our schedule was busy but not excessively so, because we didn't overbook. The whole season was deliciously pleasant. 

Because of Covid restrictions we can't invite customers in now, so I didn't make the hundreds of cookies I usually do, but I did manage to bake one batch of sugar cookies. 


Bravo supervised. 


Although we had a foot of snow before Christmas, the holiday weather turned weirdly warm, with high winds and heavy rain. All the snow was washed away, and not only did we have a brown Christmas, we even found this wee flower growing in the front yard. 


It was just the four of us on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. We collaborated and dreamed up what special foods we'd like to celebrate with. On Christmas eve I made Oyster stew. Evans brought the fresh oysters and nicely shucked them for me while I made the base of the stew. 


It was only the second time I'd ever made this recipe, but we all agree it is delicious. A medley of fresh butter, local cream and fresh Jersey milk, a small bowl is all you need. We also cooked a fresh pork roast, from a whole pig we just filled our freezer with. Raised by a farmer friend, that pig drank a lot of our fresh goat milk over the summer, so had direct ties to our little farm. We opened a special bottle of wine gifted to us by Evans father. It was amazing. More adulting success happened when we finished our last spoonful of Oyster stew just as the timer announced that the popovers I'd made were done. Rarely does the timing on a meal work so well.


On Christmas morning Santa filled the absolutely beautiful new stockings I'd been gifted (early!) from Rachel and Evans. I have been looking for white Christmas stockings for a few years, but had not found any I loved. They did, though!  White linen, lined, decorated with vintage lace handkerchiefs at the top. Each has a little tag made from porcelain, where one can paint the recipients name. At our house the "kids," and dogs receive stockings. The most excited each year is Bravo, who is smart enough to know that once a year that thing hanging on the banister if filled with goodies to delight a good pup. 


 If you look, you can see him sitting on the stairs, wishing someone would help him access his loot. Santa also brought a super soft bed, both dogs took to it immediately. 

One more dog picture, just because. 


The chickens got a big old plate of yummy human food for a Christmas treat, the ducks enjoyed Romaine lettuce leaves torn into their water, and the goats and donkeys share a treat gift made of compressed seeds, grains, molasses and salt. It is hung where they can lick but not bite it, and offers hours of entertainment.  

During the darkest days of a New England winter, extra dark this year due to the pandemic and political upheavals, there is warmth and brightness for all  here at FairWinds. And for this I am ever grateful. 


No comments: