Friday, February 12, 2021

Scenic...

 When our family decided to move from Memphis we had a list of criteria for our future dream home. It went something like this: 

  • Low crime
  • Good schools 
  • Near the ocean
  • Near my family  (but not so close people would drop in unannounced.) 
And finally- 
  • Scenic beauty 
Though there were many wonderful things about living in Memphis (the restaurants, museums, and music. The zoo! The Mississippi River, and our many wonderful friends,) we all agreed, there was a lack of loveliness surrounding us. 

When we eventually decided to call Maine home, I knew we had that last bullet point well covered. I am reminded daily of how fortunate I am to live here. Everywhere I drive I pass rivers and lakes. There are mountain views and regular glimpses of the ocean to delight me. I enjoy seeing granite ledges and evergreen studded vistas. Rolling blueberry barrens, lovely no matter the season. My eyes can't get enough of the beauty here. 

One of the first purchases I made for our new home was a bird feeder.  Niece Elyse was here helping us get settled and she said, "If you hang a thistle feeder you'll have Goldfinches." I put one in my cart, and within moments of hanging it by my kitchen window, it was covered with fluttering birds the color of sunshine. I've had a love affair with the local birds ever since. I keep them fed, they keep me in awe. Feeding the birds is a way of bringing the local beauty close to home.

Today I snapped this picture, just a common Blue Jay, but how handsome he looks against the backdrop of branches and snow, with that saucy red Cardinal just behind him. 
The jay flitted to a higher branch, and I couldn't resist taking his picture with the sky in the background. There are so many shades of blue in this image. 


Shortly after I took this picture I noticed a large bird shadow slipping over the snow. I looked up but missed who was throwing that shadow. Seconds later I saw the shadow circle past again, and to my delight, saw this. In a tree. Right outside my window. Scenic beauty indeed, all around us. 






No comments: