Sunday, March 21, 2021

Contentment, beauty, and luck...

 The animal's happiness with the warmer weather is palpable. They are out wandering the pasture, and the ice from Puddle Pond has melted, so the ducks are in their glory. 

The goats spend a good deal of time napping on the manure pile, or in the spent hay around the feeder instead of in their cozy. I delight to see them, contentedly soaking up the early spring sunshine. 


The donkeys had a prolonged, wild play session Friday. Lots of rearing, bucking, kicking, and braying. The donkey on the left is Jezebel. She lived without another donkey companion most of her life. It took her nearly a year of being here before she learned to play, but now she is all about it. It makes me especially happy to see her enjoying a good ruckus with her pals. 


Our eagle friend swooped in again last week. 

The wind ruffled its feathers. It sat a while, then lifted off and swooped to the north, leaving me richer for its visit. 

Collecting eggs one evening last week, I stood on the last big patch of ice as I reached into the nest boxes. A wide wooden splinter along the wall of one box jammed deeply under my thumbnail, and I jerked back in pain. My sudden movement on the ice sent my feet out from under me, and I landed hard on my behind. I felt the jolt of impact reverberate along my spine. I stayed put a long moment, doing an assessment to see if I was hurt. Bravo was at my side in an instant, taking advantage of my face's proximity to his to give it a helpful wash. I rolled to my knees and got up, wondering how sore I'd be the next morning. To my relief, I was no worse for the wear. I'm chalking that week up to one filled with contentment, beauty, and luck. 


No comments: