Sunday, March 13, 2022

Sweet little things...

 One of my orchids is blooming. I have 5 or 6 of them in the grooming studio, and they like it there. It's warm during the day, the light suits them, the humidity is high from all the dog washing going on, and it's cool in the evenings. They are exotic yet hardy at the same time. I admire them. 


I have a favorite white stool in the studio as well. I forget where I got it, a yard sale maybe. It's lightweight and pretty, shabby, and chipped the way I like. It's always had an odd little rattle when it is moved. We move it a lot, from chair to chair, room to room.


 I assumed a piece of the chipped top was inside, causing the sound. Last week, I happened to glance in just the right light and saw... something. It took a little noodling around, but I found the cause of the mystery sound. 


A tiny, pink, rubber doll shoe. I wonder what wee child tucked it in there and how many years ago. I plan to give it a little wash; it's pretty grubby from some long-ago little hands. And then? I think I'll tuck it back where I found it. 

Chris bought a copy of a favorite magazine and left it for me one day last week. That was sweet. The note he left with it was better still. 


I smiled all morning. Then in the afternoon, a customer brought me a precious gift. 


She told me how she had enjoyed many happy tea parties with her granddaughters, complete with handmade table linens. I suspect The Owlet and I will have many a happy time employing this darling little set. Now I will be on the hunt for a perfect tiny tea set. 

My niece and her husband have been wanting to add a Golden Retriever puppy to their family. I happened upon a litter near me that still had a few pups looking for a home. Today I got to watch Elyse and Kevin fall in love. What a treat. 


Today my daughter went with her husband to his Grandparent's home. They have recently been promoted to heaven, and their house is being cleaned out. Rachel and her sister-in-law were told to take anything they wanted. Side by side, they sorted through cookbooks and kitchenware, shelves, and collectibles. When they would find something they both liked, they tried to defer to the other. Rachel told Heather the story of how my siblings and I split up our parent's belongings with great respect and kindness towards each other and how now, years later, we share treasured items back and forth. Heather's face lit up. "Want to share with me?" She asked. They both found a kitchen item they liked, "Let's share!" Rachel said. "You take it first." This is, perhaps, the sweetest thing of all. 




No comments: