Thursday, April 28, 2022

Flew the coop...

This time of year, the hens bring a lot to the table in the way of delicious, fresh eggs. These are not your everyday average grocery store eggs. The yolks are deep orange and stand tall when cracked. The shells are firm; it takes a good tap to crack these beauties. And they taste delicious. 

We provide the hens with a clean, safe coop to live in. Inside the enclosure are private nest boxes lined with fragrant pine shavings. We've even gone so far as to hang bright bandana curtains in front of the nest boxes, so the ladies can have privacy. For the most part, they buy into our plan, allowing me to quickly collect a basket full of eggs from the coop each afternoon. But sometimes, a bird will develop a different plan. 

Something caught my eye mid-morning. A chicken up inside the goat's hay rack. The rack is elevated and has a decent layer of hay in it. The chicken had left the cozy coop. Then she had exited her fenced yard and strutted across the big pasture. I wonder what she thought when she hopped up, 3 and a half feet or more, to perch on top of the loose, slippery hay. I noticed that she settled there and stayed awhile. 


This evening while I was doing chores, I investigated. 

Indeed, she had left something behind. 

The goats wanted to see what was so interesting. 


They didn't see what I found so appealing. I popped the egg in my pocket and finished chores, smiling about one chicken's wandering ways and creative nesting choices. 

No comments: