Sunday, May 1, 2022

New things to love...

 Son-in-love Evans is busy making raised garden beds and an excellent composter for their new home this spring. I mentioned that I would enjoy a similar composter, and guess what he made me? 

It's a thing of beauty and wonderfully sturdy. I've been brushing up on my composting knowledge and am looking forward to turning eggshells, coffee grounds, and goat poo into fertile garden soil. 

Our beloved Silkie chickens were recently laid to rest. They were very elderly (10 or more years old), blind, and confused. I miss them, and the wee empty coop seems sad. I made arrangements to get some other small birds to house there. Chris drove me to a little town near Bangor, where we met up with a nice man who raises bantam (small) Cochin chickens. He brought me out a sturdy box full of fluffy chicks. 

Once home, I got them tucked into their brooder with a heat lamp, food, water, and soft bedding. 
 

They will look like this when grown and weigh in at a whopping 26-30 ounces. 


Bravo loves baby chicks and was very excited to see these arrive at the farm. 

He also loves the Owlet. I took a long series of photos this morning. I got one that does not show her face, so I can share. The baby was on my lap and repeatedly laid her head on Bravo's back, twining her fingers through his silken coat. The other pictures show him twisting his head and neck into extreme contortions so he could try to lick her hands, face, or ears. We don't encourage his licking her, but he is determined and gets the occasional swipe in. She does not seem to mind. He guards all the small things here, and she is no exception. 
Composter, baby, and new chicks. Lots to love! 





No comments: