Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Wildlife...

 When we first moved to Maine, I was country drunk. Having lived in a city, I had been hungry for open spaces, trees, and grass and hoped we would have a little wildlife around us.  Those first weeks I was overjoyed when a flock of Goldfinches began to decimate my bird feeder. I discovered that Tree Swallows were nesting in a birdhouse the previous owners had left behind. One memorable day I found a pile of deer scat in the meadow. I was so excited! A few days later, I heard what I thought was a wild turkey gobbling in the woods. Such a delight. 

I've gotten better at looking for wildlife now that I've lived here a while. Now, happily, I see and hear it everywhere. This morning my eyes opened around 5:30. The window was open, a cool spring breeze wafting in. On that breeze, we could hear a turkey repeatedly gobbling and the happy honks of Canada geese. A peaceful way to start the day.

Most evenings, we have a visiting herd of deer. Sometimes as many as 9. They politely stay in the meadow, leaving our gardens and yard alone.

Lately, a flock of turkeys has been hanging out. I love to see the Tom display his tail feathers, trying to woo the hens. 

There is a steady stream of hummingbirds, woodpeckers, nuthatches, and more at the bird feeder outside the studio window. Each glimpse, visit, and sound is a joy to me. How I love living here. 


No comments: