Sunday, May 8, 2022

Mother's Day...

 

I received flowers from my son-in-love for Mother's Day. Ruffled tulips, grown locally. He delivered them to work, one bunch for Rachel, one for me, with two bottles of Rose. 

I was deeply touched by this thoughtfulness, as you can imagine. He didn't stop there, however! The next day he sent in lunch for both of us.  Rachel's sandwich was labeled "First Lady." Mine?  

It was a chicken sandwich in excellent locally baked pita bread. The bread was crusted in herbs and simply amazing. 

Yesterday was Derby day. We have invited friends to join us for a light meal and watch the race for years. I made Moose chili (friend Scott bagged a moose last fall.) There were lots of appetizers and jalapeno cheddar cornbread. I also tried a new recipe for dessert, one from Erin French, Rhubarb Spoon Cake. I cut the rhubarb from my garden and used our fresh eggs. I cooked it up in a cast-iron skillet and served it with whipped cream made from thick Jersey cream from a local farm. It was delicious and fun to bake. You can find the recipe here if you'd like to try it:                                                                                https://tastecooking.com/recipes/rhubarb-spoon-cake/.

Evans made mint juleps for those who wanted to try one, with lots of fresh, crushed mint. I don't like bourbon, but I tasted one, and they were delicious. Chris used his new popcorn popper, and people enjoyed the buttery, Parmesan-topped stuff by the fistful. 
Earlier in the day, we had a visit from a favorite 6-year-old. She's been coming to the farm to see the animals since she was 4. This girl has an innate sense of how to behave around animals, and they all love to see her. I expect she will make a career with critters. I hope she fondly remembers brushing the goats and patting the dogs here when she is older. 


Mother's Day was extra special this year because it is Rachel's first year as a mom. Her family joined us for a pancake breakfast (the Owlet tried pancakes, sausage, and bacon crumbs.) Then Rachel, the Owlet, and I headed to Bangor to check out an antique mall we had heard about. I got to wear the baby in a front pack as we explored. She charmed other patrons by giving them her patented toothless grin each time they made eye contact. 

We found a few tiny treasures and enjoyed exploring. We went to one more store after this, then headed for lunch. Rachel is teaching me how to appreciate Japanese food and sushi. 


We had a feast. The Owlet tried a little rice, avocado, and pickled ginger. She is 6 months old now and exploring the world beyond milk adorably. 

Every morning I wake up, see the sun slanting through the windows of this old house, and feel grateful. People often tell me how lucky I am, and they are right. I am thankful for all these gifts and mindful of the blessings heaped upon me. It was a magical Mother's Day. 





No comments: