Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Moo-ving day...

 I've always liked cows. My favorite part about going to fairs in the fall is meandering around the cattle barns. The Jersey cows are the ones I love the best. They have such pretty faces and huge, kind-looking eyes. 

Chris recently said, "I can't help but notice that we own more land than we ever have, but fewer animals to graze it." That sounded a lot like an invitation to me. It would be rude to ignore an invitation. Right? I arranged with my up-the-road neighbor to let a few of her cows enjoy my pasture this year. And you know what kind of cows she decided to send me? Jersey's!  Fencing was repaired/installed, and I waited impatiently. Today was the day. I felt like a kid at Christmas. 

It was early when the truck backed the trailer up to the top of the pasture. 


There was a lot of peeking out and anxious thumping. The ladies knew that a ride meant a new meadow was about to be theirs. Moxie hopped out when they opened the door and went obediently through the gate. Mocha took a hard left, tap-danced through some scrub, and made her way for the road.  Mike was quick, dashing after her and stomping on her lead rope. She stopped and nicely followed his lead to join her herd mate. 

They quickly got the ladies settled and the gate hooked up. My phone rang; it was my sweet next-door neighbor, laughing.  "COWS!" She said. "I wondered if you were getting more animals, but COWS?" She had witnessed the cow in the road as she left her driveway to go to work. I explained what was happening, and she excitedly asked, "Will they moo?" I assured her they would. "Oh, good!" I have the best neighbors. 

Both cows trotted to the enormous water tank, then took a right, exploring. They were nose-down in the fresh spring grass in moments, dining with apparent glee.  

Sociable souls, they each came up to say hello to me between breakfast bites. 

We left them to explore their new summer home. They kicked up their heels and cavorted. 

The goats stared and stared in amazement. We will let everyone mingle in a day or two, but for now, they can say hello through the fence. 


All day, I made trips to the window to gaze out. Cows lying in the grass. Cows exploring the fence line. Cows grazing. It was a day filled with happy glimpses. 

More fun arriving tomorrow. Stay tuned! 


No comments: