Saturday, October 15, 2022

New pastures...

 I hesitate to write this post because it is sad for me. 

Today was Spirit and Bliss's last day at FairWinds. They were both born here, have had kids here, and have been milked here. I have trimmed their hooves, scrubbed their water tub, hauled their hay, and mucked their house. I have worried about them, loved them, and done my best to keep them healthy and happy. Last spring, my lovely veterinarian suggested they might be a little big for me to handle as I toddle along into my 6th decade. In the past few months, they've knocked me down many times. They are not mean in any way; they just don't realize their size and strength. According to the orthopedic doctor, I need a new knee this winter. I am pretty sure getting bowled over by livestock is not recommended. I began to think I might need to find my good goats a new farm to live at. 

When one has livestock that needs to move on for whatever reason, it is a problem. I didn't want my beloved goats to go where they would be mistreated, and it's impossible to know their treatment when you send them off with unknown people. Another option is to euthanize, but I certainly didn't want to put perfectly healthy animals to sleep. Then I had a fantastic idea. Two years ago, I sold the last kids these goats birthed to a wonderful couple who live about an hour from here. They are customers of mine, and we have become friends. I knew they loved the kids they got from us and gave them a great life. I sent a message and asked if they might consider taking their goat's mothers. They agreed instantly. 

Today was moving day. Cheryl and Mike came with a livestock trailer, and the girls got on politely. On this warm, misty morning, we drove on beautiful back roads, enjoying vistas of rolling hills and spectacular foliage. I was delighted to see the beautiful farm they were moving to. Acres of pastures, with meadow and browse. Excellent fence to keep them safe. A big, safe, gorgeous barn with good stalls and even a built-in climbing play area for them to enjoy. 

Cheryl skillfully backed the trailer to the pasture gate, and the ladies hopped right off. The goats and Icelandic sheep there heard the commotion and came out of the barn to see what was happening. 

The new owners wondered if they would recognize each other. I don't know the answer, but there was no head-butting. 


In a herd, they all walked off, muttering and eyeing each other. 


Spirit and Bliss checked out their new barn, complete with goat climbing and a play area.


 They seemed to approve. 

They came to the gate as I left, and I imagined they were saying, "This was fun. Now let's go home." It was hard to drive away, but I know they will have an excellent home and be treated with great care. 

I came home to the three small Nigerian Dwarf goats seeming concerned about their missing friends. I cleaned their house and gave them scritches. I will miss my big girls, but my soon-to-be new knee and I will enjoy staying vertical. 




No comments: