Sunday, November 27, 2022

Greening...

 Every year as December approaches, I am happy to buy a wreath or two to decorate our doors. Here in Maine, where evergreen trees grow with reckless abandon, people make and sell wreaths by the truckload, at farm stands and roadsides, in shops, and on street corners. I've often wished I knew how to make one. This year a sweet friend invited Rachel and me to a wreath-making event. I was delighted. I baked some mini pumpkin muffins to share, and off we went. 

A table full of baked goodies in the hall greeted us, along with many warm, friendly people. I was impressed by the organization. A second table full of wire cutters, pruners, spools of wire, wreath frames, and other helpful tools waited at the ready.

On either side of the room were long tables covered with plastic clothes to protect them. These were places for people to get creative. 

The center of the room had tarps taped to the floor, and piles of beautiful fresh greens were neatly arranged. White pine, cedar, spruce, holly, winterberries, and more awaited being trimmed and shaped into seasonal décor. 

Experienced wreath makers came to each table to see if anyone needed guidance. We did. I saw friends I knew and met new people. Rachel wore the Owlet in a backpack and attracted lots of attention. 

It didn't take long for us to learn how to snip groups of greens and wire them to a frame, looping the wire around and around each segment of foliage. 


I was pleased with my results. 

Chris kept busy while I was gone, delighting me by putting twinkle lights on the arbor.


And putting a bale of hay in the sweet new hay bag, he gifted me and hauling it to the goat cozy. The plan is to keep a bale of hay out there so I can just dish out a flake or two at a time and keep the mess corralled. 

He put up a new mineral feeder for the goats, too. 

It was a fun day, with much accomplished. The greening of the upcoming holiday has begun. 





No comments: