Friday, September 23, 2011

Opportunity...

Recently, when I bent to scoop some feed for the poultry from the deep galvanized can in the garage, the new light of dawn glinted off... something.  I paused, looked harder, and found the form of a wee rodent deep in the can.  This mouse had  jumped long- in blind faith, to dine on cracked corn. Then it was stuck.  And I found it.  I could have whacked it and ended its life.  But I didn't.  I laid a long stick into the can and watched the tiny creature scramble up and out.  FREE in my garage.  Free to eat more food destined for hens or sheep.  One look into those impossibly large eyes told me it was all good.  That mouse was doing just what I would do:  going for the gold, doing it's best for its family.  How could I deny such vision?
I hope it has a store of food to last it during the long, cold season ahead. 

1 comment:

Simpler Times said...

That's exactly what I would have done with him :)