Monday, February 27, 2012

Morning...

When one lives with animals their lives are dictated by animal care. When I wake in the morning I do not have the luxury of rolling over and snuggling in for another 40 winks. The dogs want to go out. Now. Even if I can lull them back to sleep, I know the chickens and ducks are in the coop waiting to get out and have a drink and breakfast. And the stray cat that lives in the garage wants a hand out, not to mention the cat we do own is usually calling for a meal. The bunny will be waiting,too, for a handful of grain and a carrot. I also know that the wild birds are waiting for me to scoop seeds into the feeders around the yard. Even the crows are out there, calling at dawn from the tall trees, wanting a treat. Sometimes all of that feels like unwelcome pressure. Especially in the winter, when the mornings are dark and cold; I long to snuggle into the warm sheets for a while longer before my feet hit the cold, cold floor. But I cannot. So I swing out of the bed and gasp at the cold air as I pull on warm fleece clothing and heavy boots. Within moments of opening my eyes I am outdoors, a bucket of water in my hand, my pockets stuffed with carrots and treats, my hair wild enough to scare small children. The icy air is a slap, and most mornings there is this question in my mind; "WHY do I do this to myself?" Then I look around, blearily. The sky offers a new view each day; sometimes a shroud of clouds, other times a bowl of blue. There are always birds to admire, and sometimes deer in the meadow. In this photo the valley and ridge across from the house were thick with a fog so dense it looked like cake frosting. The bunny hops to greet me. The chickens cluck their happiness as I open the pop door from the coop and fill their bowl with fresh water, their dish with good food. The ducks strut. My dogs dance in the cold, gleeful. "It is a new day!" they seem to tell me. "What shall we do for fun?" The enthusiasm is contagious. As soon as chores are done I walk in the meadow with them, watching them sniff the spots where wild things have been and bounce over the frozen ground. And I look around at the quiet morning world and feel so sad for the people who are still in bed, missing all this beauty and happiness. When one lives with animals their lives are dictated by animal care. And blessed beyond measure.

No comments: