Monday, March 6, 2017

The Lagomorphs leap again...

After the lady rabbits had been on the loose for the better part of a month, I finally caught them in a live trap and got them re-settled in their bunny condo. That lasted about 48 hours and then they dug out.  There is wire under the condo, but there is so much old bedding built up they were able to find a way to tunnel through the loose stuff to freedom.  They have plenty of shelter, but do dangerous things like nibble on plants in the middle of the lawn where a passing hawk or eagle could snap them up, or hang out by the side of the road. I worry that if they don't become food for something that they will venture into the street an get hit by a car. 


 A few nights ago I got up at 1:00 AM to let a dog with tummy trouble out. I didn't have my glasses on, but I could see the two white bunny bodies dancing and leaping on the side yard, illuminated by moonlight. They certainly looked happy. 

I put an end to THAT!


Lured by juicy apple slices, some special food and hay, I caught both ladies in the trap again today. Though they have been snagged in this trap several times now, they don't seem to learn from the error of their ways. 

They are now on lock down in a large dog crate in the garage. I call their new set up, "Land of the Certain Lunch."  I am not sure they found enough food to eat when they were on the loose (though I did put food out for them,) but here they have nothing to do in their small enclosure except eat and nap.  No more moonlight dances, no exploring the yard and pasture, no digging tunnels under my porch, no illicit rendezvous with escaped boy rabbits.  I can't help but feel sorry for them.  Extra carrots for everyone! 




No comments: