Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Over almost as soon as begun...

Kidding season is OVER.  It was fast and furious. Spirit had two kids on Sunday, after a prolonged labor.  Celeste had three kids Monday morning, then refused to take care of them by Monday night.  Ella also had triplets Monday afternoon, and was so flushed with maternal  hormones that she wanted to adopt her sisters abandoned kids, too.  Raising what would amount to an entire litter would be tough with only two teats. So, this morning I moved Celeste's hungry boys to a straw lined crate in the house where they would be warm and fed frequent small meals.  By this afternoon they were feeling very bouncy and looking less lean.

This morning I knew Jane  was ready to kid. She didn't want to eat breakfast, and was keeping to herself.  I had to work today, and Jane very cooperatively positioned herself within view of the studio window.  Abraham donkey continued his helpful announcements of each birth.  He would stand near laboring Jane Doe and bray loudly in my direction. Rachel and I had a busy grooming day scheduled. but when we saw a kid emerging Rachel rushed out to help dry it. First one doeling was born, then two amniotic sacs appeared and I knew we were looking forward to two more kids.  Jane is not a large goat, and she never looked as wide as her herd mates, so triplets were a big surprise.  She had her kids outside, in the weak warmth of the early spring sun. The end count was three girls, bringing the total of kids at FairWinds to 11. ELEVEN!  Abraham stood nearby the entire time. He gently sniffed each new arrival, and I think Jane looked as if she were glad for his company.

I was working so didn't get much in the way of photos. But we had an excellent view of Jane and her kids all day.  Customers enjoyed watching the process, too.  As the sun sank and took it's warmth with it, I finished my work day and moved Jane and her new babies to the goat cozy, where they all settled into deep, clean shavings.  Jane tucked into the dinner I brought her with gusto.

All 11 kids are white. This is a first for us, normally we have an entire pallet of colors. It's difficult to tell them apart.  Rachel and I are toying with doing some color coded dots so we can tell at a glance which kid belongs to which doe.

Meanwhile, all the new kids are warm and loved and welcomed to FairWinds.

No comments: