Friday, August 17, 2018

Loneliness...

Abraham is lonesome.

The night Chanel died he called for her, waking us several times in the wee hours. He has never called out at night before.He's been very vocal ever since, calling at all hours.  A few days after Chanel was gone, a horse trailer drove past, and the horse inside whinnied. Abraham came flying towards the trailer, braying his loudest, most urgent call. Then he CHASED THE TRAILER as far as the fence would allow.  Rachel and I saw this, and our eyes filled with tears.

So I did what I must. I got on line and began looking for a friend for Abraham. All the chickens have friends, as do the rabbits. The goats all have pals, the pigs and lambs do, too. It isn't fair that Abraham is all alone with no companion.  Here at FairWinds we don't like for anyone to be hungry, thirsty, or lonely.

I thought he might prefer a female. And a donkey that was similar in age to Abraham would be good. She'd have to be familiar and friendly with goats, and good for the vet and farrier. 

Currently, her name is Maggie. I'll be changing that. She is 17. Abraham is 15.  She lives in New Hampshire. Her donkey friend died in January, and she is lonesome.  So next week she is coming to be Abraham's friend.  Her owner will drive her half way here, and marvelous Marion will take me to meet her with her trailer.  Then we will bring her home.



I have read that it is important for donkeys to have a pal to live with, because they play differently than horses or even mules.  Abraham tries to play with the goats by chasing them and biting them. The goats are not amused by this.  I am expecting we will be entertained to see Abraham and his new sweetie playing... chasing, bucking, and then canoodling in the quiet hours.  I hope they will be very happy together.  We don't "do" lonely at FairWinds.

No comments: