Sunday, October 21, 2018

What's cooking..?

I was a picky eater as a kid. My mom was a good, basic cook, with a fairly narrow repertoire. An average meal was some cut of meat, rice, potatoes or occasionally pasta, and a vegetable. So it was with a great deal of hesitation that I went to dinner at my high school beau's house when I was around 14. What if I didn't like what she cooked? What if she made something weird?

 We sat at their cozy family table, and I was introduced to something called Hungry Jack Casserole. A fragrant, bubbling mixture of ground beef, barbecue sauce, and baked beans, topped with biscuits and baked. It was amazing. I got her recipe, (she was a wonderful cook and my recipe file box boasts many of her specialties,) and I still make it from time to time.  It's an excellent fall meal, soul satisfying and filling. I've been thinking about it lately and decided to cook it last night for supper. Rachel and Evans joined us, and brought some of Evans signature super delicious fresh Cole slaw. It tasted like autumn and happy memories.

Then today Chris and I embarked on a wee adventure.  Though the foliage is past peak, the world is still burnished in gold and copper, and we had planned to take a little drive. Then a plan I had been working on in the background came together.

In the past I have brought a buck goat here in the fall to romance my lady goats. This has worked well, and I had a guy dubbed Jolly Roger all lined up for an early November visit. Then I got to thinking, that I really didn't want as many goat kids next year as we had this last spring (11!) and it occurred to me if I only bred the two little Saanen doelings, and not the rest, life would be much more simple. And then the universe, as it often does, opened a door. Last week we groomed a dog that belongs to a nice woman who sold me my second goat. She has been a wonderful mentor to me for 6 years or so, but has been traveling and I haven't seen her for a while. She mentioned that she had a friend who lives about an hour from here who might be willing to board my two doelings and breed them to one of his Saanen bucks. She gave me his number, I left a message, and he called last night, just as we were finishing supper. I tossed our plans for a scenic drive out the window. Sort of.



 The farm we were to go to is in Unity, Maine, a lovely spot. We loaded the girls up in dog crates stuffed with hay and we enjoyed the views as we rolled to give the goats a date with destiny.


 They were bewildered, but seemed to think their new beau was interesting. Most Saanen goats are white, this guy is a sable Saanen, with splashes of color, and quite handsome. He certainly thought the girls were enticing.


We drove away with empty crates, leaving the girls to stay a while. Hopefully they will soon be cookin' up some kids.

Meanwhile... last week one of our favorite customers turned friend was here. We groomed her three dogs and at some point she went in the house to use the rest room. She came back in and said, "We need to re-arrange some furniture." Little did she know that I ADORE re-arranging furniture. It's in my blood. Game on!  In 15 minutes we had changed the look and feel of the front room, which we call "the snuggery."


It has a much better flow this way, and makes me smile when I see it. 

One more thing. Six or so years ago I bought a new refrigerator when the one that came with the house packed in. I was frugal, and the one I bought was a mistake. Too small by far, and poorly made. The exterior paint was rusting, the inside bits all crumbling. I never have liked it, though I did appreciate it's service.  When the ice maker on this poor 'fridge died, I took it as an excuse to go shopping.  I upgraded in a BIG way. And by big, I mean, I bought a behemoth of a 'fridge. And I love it. 



The cooking and eating seasons are upon us. I'm going to be ready!


No comments: