Friday, November 16, 2018

First snow...

Snow was in the forecast and our grooming customers all wanted to reschedule. So today was a bonus day off. I woke up at 3 AM and glanced out, sure enough, the world was dusted with white.  By dawn there were a couple of inches on the ground. The kittens tried to rocket out of the garage as they do every morning when I open the door, but stopped in their tracks perplexed.  They soon got used to the idea and were frolicking about in the white stuff with reckless abandon.  Bravo was thrilled to discover the snow. He found a toy, and zoomed around the yard, tossing it in the air, pouncing and leaping when it was hidden in a drift. The chickens refused to come out of their house. Flirt took two steps out the door, emptied her bladder on the deck, and headed back to the wood stove. There she stayed most of the day.

I took hay out to the donkey dorm so the critters didn't have to get snow covered. They were pleased. When Sarah saw the camera she stopped eating to pose. You can see she had been wallowing in the clean shavings, a special delight for her. 

I cleaned out a few kitchen cabinets, put down new liner and arranged things neatly. It was an overdue project. I goofed off, some, too. Bravo and I went out and he played while I shoveled the steps.  Chris joined us and got the snow blower going to clear the paths and driveway. About 6 inches of snow fell by the time the storm was over.


As the afternoon grew long, I got all the little window candles out of storage, gathered up a pile of batteries and started the fiddly process of getting them going. I invested in some nice quality candles a few years back. Once turned on they automatically light up at the same time each day. They glow for 6 hours then turn off. I love to get them out this time of year, when the hours of light are short, and cold, dark hours long. I like to think of them glowing through the night. They are a bit tricky to get started, because sometimes the batteries are no good, or have been put in backwards due to operator error. Some of the bulbs are not functioning as they did the previous year, or have not been seated properly. Since they all look alike, I have to figure out what part is malfunctioning, and why, and try to get everything sorted out. It's a bit of a puzzle.  The goal is to get them all assembled and illuminated at dusk, so they will light up simultaneously in the days to come.  Next I place them in all the windows around the house where they will stay for the darkest times. Once I was successful in getting them all functioning, I put them in a big basket and carried them to every window.


The dogs and I went outside so I could examine my handiwork.

The small, glowing, lights make our place look cozy. That is what I love about this time of year, the snugness of home, even when there is a storm.




No comments: