Monday, August 19, 2019

Farmlette happenings...

In the early spring I wait excitedly for the first faint flush of green to appear in the pasture.The animals, do, too.
Once the greening begins, the grass (and weeds) grow at an astonishing rate. Now that we no longer have a horse, the grass becomes very tall. So tall, in spots, that when the donkeys are standing in it, I cannot see them at all. This can be cause for occasional alarm, until they move a bit and I catch a glimpse of their ear tips. Until that happens I have visions of them dancing up and down the road, dodging cars and marauding neighbors flower beds.(In truth, they have never escaped the fence, but that doesn't mean I don't worry that they might.) At any rate, in late summer the grass begins to look rather ragged and disreputable. Right about that time trusty Scott can be depended on to appear on his tractor. 

As soon as he was inside the gate this weekend, it took Jezebel about 10 seconds to march over and investigate. The men shared a beer and conversation, the donkey hung out socializing and demanding bum scratches.

Soon the tractor roared to life, and the mower evened up all the ragged greenery. It's a project, and we are most grateful for our kind and talented friend and his marvelous mower.
What remains looks lush and smooth. The hoof stock seem delighted, because they can reach the tender green stuff that the tall, drying, blades were hiding. The chickens like it, too, finding chopped up bugs and such, they range the entire area, busy and happy.
Speaking of chickens, I wanted to share their summer project with you. They have been landscaping for me. You see, when we clean out the goat cozy and donkey dorm every few days, we deposit 2-3 large wheel barrow loads of shavings, cast off hay and ... well... poop, into a designated pile. The pile tends to be close to the shed, because in the snow it can be tricky to push the barrow very far. Soon the pile is 5 tall or so, and not the most attractive feature of our yard. So, I put the chickens to work on it. Every day or so I sprinkle a few handfuls of cracked corn on the pile. The girls do the rest.

Those little legs might not look like much to you, but they are powerful. As the hens seek out the grain I've tossed, and hidden bugs and seeds, they kick busily. What used to be a tall mound is now a smooth, flat, area. Green things are already starting to grow there.  We will move the manure pile to a different spot for the fall and winter, and as this area continues to decompose, it will soon be covered in grass. Just one more reason to appreciate my poultry pals.

This dahlia was sent to me in error when I ordered something else. The blossom is enormous, and I am enchanted by this pretty mistake.

The passion flower vine I bought on a whim has also been a source of beauty this summer.

And didn't this picture turn out nicely? I love the blur of color in the background.

One more... I poked my head in the duck house and was able to catch mama duck before she puffed up and hissed me away. I am beginning to doubt that her eggs will hatch, but she is still devoted to her plan, so I am leaving her be.

Now it's time to go clean some animal houses. I'll take my camera with me, you never know when someone will strike a charming pose.
.

No comments: