Saturday, May 27, 2023

Lessons learning...

The lessons I have had to learn after having my knee replaced can be summed up in two words. Slow Down. I have been diligent in performing the prescribed exercises and, in fact, do more of them more often than instructed. Determined to heal well, I power through the list with grit and some cuss words. The physical therapist has to remind me to slow the exercises down, be deliberate, and retrain my muscles and nervous system. It is frustrating, and I must remind myself to give the process time.  Meanwhile, spring is happening outside my window, rushing past in a blaze of bright colors and heavenly scents. It does not know how to slow down, either. 
In the past four weeks, I spent much time on the reclining sofa with ice on my leg. The Owlet thought it was rather nice having a captive audience. I read many books to her, and it became her daily habit to snuggle up with me for her nap. Since she often sleeps for two-plus hours, she held me captive. I thought I might read several novels and accomplish some writing while on mandatory rest, but instead, I bonded more closely with the baby. It was a sweet time well spent. 
The veterinarian came out to give the goats their annual vaccinations and health checks. She performed an ultrasound on Plenty, who had been bred but then had what I believed was a miscarriage. Indeed, there were no babies to be seen. Other than that sad news, everyone was declared healthy, and they behaved nicely despite the prodding and poking. We expect Grace and Glory to present us with kids in August, which is something to look forward to. 
My first week back at work was uneventful. I was worried that returning to my normal daily rhythm would be challenging after weeks of downtime, but besides being ready to rest at the end of the workday, all was well. It was good to spend hours chatting with Rachel and fun to see customers, too. 
Chris has been kindly doing most all of the animal chores while I recover. I miss my time interacting with the goats and chickens. Taking care of them wonderfully grounds me. Yesterday afternoon I had enough stamina to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful weather. The layer flock entertained me with their antics and looked so pretty in the late-day light. 

In the past, I've typically had flocks of all one breed of bird. This mixed flock is fun because I can tell each bird apart from the others. They are an attractive bunch and tend to stay in a tight group as they explore the meadow, searching for fine dining opportunities. Stan the Man is a glorious-looking rooster and is quite polite with humans. He does like to chase poor Bravo, though. 


A pleasant trip to the local Farmer's Market on a lovely day was made even sweeter because the music from this gentleman filled the air. I bought water buffalo yogurt (delicious!) and chatted with neighbors as I meandered from booth to booth. I guess I am learning my "slow down" lesson after all. 


No comments: