Sunday, October 22, 2023

Rainy days...

 The forecast called for yet more rain this weekend, but yesterday morning, though overcast, was dry. I took the opportunity to clean all the animal houses. I started with the goat cozy and enticed the little herd into the backyard so I could clean without their assistance. They are not terribly helpful. 


It was hard to concentrate on my work because they were so entertaining, dancing loudly on the overturned kayaks and trying to nosh on my pretty pumpkin. Once their house was clean, I swept the soiled shavings out of the wee Cochin house. When I peeked in on them this morning, I was surprised to see how many feathers littered the floor. The fall molt is in full swing. This means they lose all of their old, tattered feathers and replace them with bright new ones in time for winter. My yard looks like a variety of feather pillows exploded.
From there, I moved to the big coop, hauling tub after tub of old shavings out and to the big wheelbarrow. I filled their feeder and spread a fresh bale of shavings over the floor. The Lavender Orpington pullets hovered outside the door, supervising. 
These recent additions to the flock are growing nicely and should begin to lay eggs soon. They keep to themselves and don't forage around the pasture with the rest of the flock but seem happy enough. They are large birds, and their color is beautiful. Photos don't really do them justice. 

The Owlet has been exploring her artistic side, hauling a little bucket of crayons with a giant poster board from room to room. She plops down to draw and likes an audience. "Sit, Lovey," she tells me, pointing out which chair I should land in. Then she toddles to the front room and drags back a little footstool. "Toes!" she commands, and I put my legs up. Under my watchful eye, she gets to work, concentrating deeply as she lays out waxy scrawls. Despite the dreary weather, it's a colorful life. 


No comments: