Monday, December 18, 2023

Let it blow, let it blow, let it blow...

 The famed Christmas song, "Let it Snow," kept running through my head today as we experienced sixty-mile-an-hour wind gusts. Today's storm was not Christmassy at all. The temperature hovered in the 50's, and the rain poured down in torrents. I had an appointment, and driving there was a little scary. As I drove, huge tree limbs fell on the road, and the wind buffeted my truck. When I got home, we had lost power. And a big tree had fallen near the end of our driveway and blocked the road. 

Although it was fairly warm outside, I started a fire in the wood stove. It was only mid-afternoon, but the house was dark because the storm clouds were so thick. I lit a bunch of little candles and busied myself tidying the house. Because we have a well, when we lose power, we also lose water, but I wiped down the kitchen counters and put away some things that were where they didn't belong. I played Christmas music on my phone and swept the floor. I folded a load of laundry and wrapped a few last gifts to tuck under the tree. 

Because we are expecting a new grandbaby any day I planned way ahead for the holiday this year. It seemed to me that it would be nice to be prepared in case the baby made an early appearance.  I did my shopping in October and November and even wrapped most of the gifts before I turned the calendar to December. This was a first for me. We had a baby shower here the first weekend of the month, which spurred me to put up any decorations I wanted to use before then. 

So today, while the tall firs danced at the edge of the meadow, and anything not tied down outside banged and crashed, and the wind had a loud voice, I puttered in our holiday-decorated house by the flicker of candles and chuckled a little when "Let it Snow" piped out from the speaker on my phone. 

No comments: