Saturday, June 23, 2018

Dressing up my dresser...

Many years ago in Memphis, I saw a wooden bureau at someones curb. This was the sign, there, that the object was up for grabs. Grab it I did, wrestling it into the back of my mini van, feeling like a thief, but delighted with my treasure.  It was nothing fancy, but had a pleasing shape, was a nice, solid wooden piece, and offered a small footprint. Since the rooms in our house were small, this suited me.  It was painted Big Bird yellow, and had little rubber ducky drawer pulls. Clearly it had once held some precious baby clothes.  I intended for it hold clothes for my baby, as well.  I painted it on a drop cloth in the middle of the living room floor. Sponge paint was all the rage, and I painted it white with blue sponge paint. I replaced the knobs with plain wooden ones. I always thought I'd upgrade one day, but the piece has stayed with me, moving from room to room, home to home. It became my dresser at some point.  Recently I gave our bedroom a freshen up... new paint, new summer bed spread, a little rearranging.  I moved the bureau to the guest room, and put a different one in our room for me.  After a week I moved it back, I missed it.  But I had to admit it looked much more shabby than it did chic.  So I got to thinking about how to freshen things up a bit.

I bought some chalk paint, known for excellent coverage, an attractive matte finish, and ease of application.  Then I went on the hunt for some new drawer pulls.  I planned on clear glass pulls, I've used them in other projects and like them very much. I was at the store with 8 glass knobs in my hands, when something caught my eye.  I pondered for only a moment, then put the clear ones back and came home with these beauties.

 One afternoon, between finishing grooming and starting farm chores, I zipped up stairs and slapped a fresh coat of paint on my old friend. Here is how she looked before, chipped and grubby, with little hand painted flowers I'd put there 20 years or so before.

I hadn't realized just how sad it looked until I began working on it.  It's one of those things that I used every day, but never paid much attention to.

I opened the new paint, with the multi tool Chris gave me, bearing my name on one side, and the words, "World's Best Wife" on the other.  And then I started to paint it on. True to what I'd heard, the paint covered a multitude of sins in no time flat. In true Waters woman fashion, I managed to splatter it well past the old towel I was using as a drop cloth, and had to spend long minutes wiping up my floor. Sigh.

In no time, the grimy, chipped finish was hidden. I could hardly wait to but the knobs on. 


The end result was pleasing to me. But I had more up my sleeve.  The next day an artist customer brought her two dogs here, and while we groomed she took her paints up stairs and added her two cents to the face lift.

And that was the frosting on the cake.

I need to find some other things to decorate the top, but you get the general idea.

This little pine dresser, gleaned free from the side of the road, has held my clothes for many a year. Now it will do so with a bit more style.


No comments: