Monday, January 27, 2020

In sickness...

I am generally a sturdy sort of person that does not get sick much. This is nice, because I was a sickly kid. I'm glad I grew out of it. When I do get sick, however, I tend to get really ill. As in, not just a head cold, but a head and chest cold with a sinus infection thrown in for good measure.  But like I said, it doesn't happen often.

Last week I had a marvelous weekend planned. Chris gifted me 6 sessions with an amazing massage therapist for Christmas. In the same building is an esthetician. Since I was getting the massage as a gift, I checked to see if I could get a facial while I was there. They say self care is good, right? I was going to indulge in epic portions of self care.  The rest of Saturday would be spent home with Chris, and that is always fun. Then, on Sunday, I planned to drive 3 hours to my sisters house in Massachusetts. She was hosting a birthday party for our great niece, and much of the family would be under one roof to celebrate. I'd be all relaxed and glowy from my massage and facial, I'd get to see the fam and enjoy time with little kids, it sounded perfect.

On the appointed morning I arrived on time and was happily enjoying a relaxing, lovely facial when suddenly I got very dizzy. "Huh." I thought.The feeling passed, and all was well. Then the esthetician finshed and left the room. It was time for me to gather my things and proceed to the massage room. I sat up, swung my legs over the comfy table/bed, and put my feet on the floor. The room tilted wildly and I almost fell over. I thought, "Well, that is strange." I sat in the chair for a few moments, then proceeded next door. The room was warm and smelled nice. Soothing music played. The lights were dim. I undressed, slid under the cozy electric blanket and happily anticipated and hour of pampering. All was well. The massage therapist and I chatted a bit, and I mentioned I'd had a dizzy spell. Then I just relaxed and let her make my muscles happy. After about 30 minutes of this lovely experience she had me roll onto my back. When I did I had a wild dizzy spell, and told her so. Suddenly I was feeling simply awful. "You should sit up," she said, and I did. Waves of vertigo slammed me. I asked for a drink of water, and she kindly gave me some. And then the unthinkable happened, nausea hit me hard.

Thankfully she handed me her small, lined trash can, and I was able to avoid the horror of making a mess in this lovely sanctuary.  Clearly my self care time was over. I got dressed, feeling mortified, and headed home. I had to make a few unplanned emergency stops, and about the time I pulled into the driveway everything went dim, red and hazy, I was close to passing out. I managed to get inside but the rest of the day was spent in misery. There would be no delightful visit with my family.

I was so lucky that Chris was here to take care of all the animals, because doing anything beyond lying in a semi-fetal position was beyond me. He also took good care of me. Whatever laid me low lasted for 72 hours, then I began to slowly improve. Each night I'd go to bed and think, "I'll be fine by tomorrow." Each morning I was disappointed. And dizzy. Chris made my childhood favorite "sick foods," Campbell's tomato soup (made with milk, not water!) garnished with Frito's, and for dessert, orange sherbet.  These are things I never eat unless I am sick, but for some reason they provide ultimate comfort.
Bravo and Flirt stayed very close to me. Flirt was delighted to have me sitting still so she could snuggle. Bravo was worried. He spent a lot of time staring at me, wondering what in the world was wrong.

Of course, I had to work Tuesday through Friday, which means poor Rachel had to do more than her fair share. I took lots of breaks, and was generally pathetic. Now, a week and a half later, I feel almost well. But Chris came home tonight, coughing and achy. I'm doomed.

No comments: