Monday, January 13, 2020

Reason 2,356 why I love living here...

I had a nice day today. I treated myself to a manicure and pedicure this morning, then ran a few errands. I did banking, picked up new vacuum cleaner bags, and popped into the hardware store. When I got home I played with the dogs, checked on all the animals, and gave the poor, starving donkeys a flake of hay so they would not wither away.

After that I did a little bit of research on a mini-article I had been asked to write, and got it put together and sent. Then I got to thinking about supper. I had some left over chicken and decided that making a nice Alfredo sauce would be a good way to use it up. I had all the ingredients except heavy cream. As luck would have it, there is a farm just up the road that sells the most amazing cream and milk from a local dairy. I hopped back in my truck and trundled up the road. I could see people working off in the distance at the farm, and the doors to the barn were open. I stepped in, and was greeted by the sweet smell of hay, and an insistent "MOO!"

I had to pause and say hello. Then I turned back to the task at hand.
The milk and cream are raw, and from Jersey cows. Both are fresh and sweet. The cream is so thick in the jar you have to spoon it out.
I feel incredibly lucky to be able to enjoy such quality products, so close to home. And the best part?

It's all on the honor system.

When we lived in Memphis this never would have possible. Not only would the cash be stolen, the products would be taken, and the refrigerator would vanish.  Oh how I love living here.

No comments: