Sunday, January 31, 2021

Papercraft...

 When Rachel was a little girl in Montessori school, I invited all the girls in her class, along with their mothers, to come to our house for a Valentine making party. I stacked the dining room table with construction paper, stickers, doilies and glue sticks. I had finger foods and punch. It was a delightful time. Once in a while I hear from one of those moms. We catch up on what is going on in our now grown up daughters lives, and invariably the mom will say, "Remember that Valentine making party you had? That was so much fun." Rachel and I decided to try recreating that day, with a small group of current friends. Yesterday Kathy, Liz, Jude, Deavyn, me and Rachel gathered around a table piled with paper, scissors, glue and more.  Jude brought special hand made paper, beautiful sheets left over from scrapbooking, and heart paper cutters to add to the stack. Frosting on the cake! 


 Earlier in the day I opened a favorite cookbook to the stained, battered, Quiche page. Using eggs from our hens, and cream from a local dairy, (so thick I had to spoon it from the jar) I made two delectable pies filled with cheese, onions and broccoli. Rachel put a lovely crudité tray together and baked pineapple upside down cake. 

The table piled high with craft supplies pulled us in like a bright magnet. Soon conversation flowed as we enjoyed lunch and began to plot our creations. Some of us had more artistic leanings than others, but it didn't matter. Doilies were dissected, snips of colorful paper were flung about. 


  
Deavyn made a heart shaped box. Inspired, I made dangly hearts and hung them from our chandelier with hand spun yarn.

The afternoon flew past, and guests left with stacks of handmade cards clutched in their hands The table was sticky with glue, and slivers of color littered the floor. I think this may need to become an annual event. There is a certain something about a group of ladies laughing and creating, making pretty things to delight people they care about that needs to have space to happen. How wonderful when that space is around our table. 

No comments: