Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Pleasing...

 During difficult times it is helpful to focus on things one is grateful for. For a long time my friend Chez and I exchanged daily gratitude lists. It was a lovely exercise. On my own, around my home, I try to take note of things that please me. It's not quite as important as keeping a gratitude list, but it's a nice little pause in my day to notice when something is lovely, or brings me a moment of happiness. I literally pause and say, "This pleases me." Here are some examples.

When our gardens are not in bloom, Chris brings me fresh flowers every week. Sometimes I put them in one vase in a bunch, other times I place them in vintage glass bottles and scatter them around the house. They never fail to make me pause. 


Ever since we renovated the guest bathroom and laundry area, I've been wanting a broom to keep upstairs for clean ups. Most brooms seem to come in bright colors, and I wanted something simple and plain. I happened across this beauty recently, it even had a little twine through the handle for hanging ease. I love the stark simplicity of it hanging on the bathroom door. It pleases me. 


In another bathroom this vintage cup neatly holds cotton swabs. The ancient ironstone soap dish holds a plain and simple soap. Every time I look at this little tableau, I am content. 


In mid-winter I like to plant some Narcissus bulbs. They look nice in an old soup tureen. Having something green and growing during the middle of winter is a boost, and the blooms smell so sweet. 


Little Scarlett and her family have become frequent visitors. The goats and donkeys rush to the gate to see them, (and the sliced carrots they never fail to bring!) Scarlett wades right in, giving hugs. At her last visit I taught her how to brush the goats and donkeys. This pleased everyone. 


No comments: