Sunday, September 12, 2021

And then...

 Yesterday a friend stopped by. The three of us, and the two dogs, were in the back yard at the picnic table, chatting. Flirt poodle was in my lap, Bravo at my feet. 

It was late afternoon. The chickens were ranging about in the meadow, some very far out, some close to the backyard fence. Suddenly the neighborhood crows began to scream their "alert" call. I snapped to attention, looking for a fox. Then I saw a very large Red Tail Hawk swooping towards us, heading for a chicken just outside the fence, about 20 feet from where we were sitting. As the hawk dipped, its talons brushing the hens back I didn't know what to do. Impulsively I yelled, "BRAVO!" I'm not sure what I thought he could do, there was a 4-foot hardwire fence between us and the unfolding drama, but I called his name just the same. 


He woke from his nap with a ferocious bark and leaped forward. The hawk saw him, and lifted away from its quarry and off, its broad wings flapping as it went over the fence, then above our heads and off.

Our hen had a narrow miss, thanks to our good dog. Bravo, Bravo! 


No comments: