Friday, September 3, 2021

Al Fresco and emergencies...

 There is not much Chris, and I enjoy more than enjoying a simple supper outside in our yard when the weather allows. Tonight it was grilled steak and fresh corn on the cob from a local farm. We start as early in the spring as we can and repeat most nights all the sweet summer season. Sometimes we sit at the picnic table; other times, I stretch out in the lovely recliner sister Deb gifted me. When I do this, Flirt likes to hop into my lap. If she leaves, Bravo takes her place.  This evening there was a distinct fall-ish chill to the air. All of us enjoyed the view of goats grazing and storm clouds rolling in. 



Last week I glanced outside one day and noticed that Spirit goat had a bald spot about the size of the palm of my hand on the right side of her rib cage. Upon investigation, I saw that though her hair was missing, the skin was normal and healthy. I put some balm on the area to help prevent flies from nibbling on her and repeated this for a few days.  All seemed well. She was eating and drinking and going out to the big pasture to graze in the evenings while I did chores, so I didn't think too much about it. A couple days passed, and I checked again. To my horror, she had a terrible skin infection going on. It distended from the original bald area down to her chest and was raw and angry-looking. I will spare you the photographs but trust me, it was ugly.  I immediately contacted my vet, and she came right out. She gave her antibiotics, steroids, anti-inflammatory medication, and a special spray for her infected skin. This was on a Friday. On Saturday, I had Spirit out to give her injections and spray medication on her wounds. While I was working on her, she urinated, and to my dismay, it was thick and full of bright red blood.  I contacted the veterinarian again, and even though it was raining and the evening, she came right over. Of course, she lives over an hour away, so it was 9:00 PM before she arrived. Poor Spirt didn't want to eat or drink and clearly felt absolutely awful. More medications were given. I was worried, and worse yet, I was due to leave the next morning for my annual delightful visit at Wag It Camp with Bravo.  Chris assured me that he could medicate our sick goat and that I should go ahead as planned. I vacillated. 



The next morning Spirit was clearly feeling better. She was eating and drinking, and her urine looked far more normal than it had the night before.  Chris insisted I pack up and depart. I did but worried he would have trouble with the multiple injections our goat needed every morning and evening. I messaged Cheryl, who lives just up the road, and she very kindly took time from her own busy life and livestock to come twice a day and help Chris over the weekend. Between Chris, Cheryl and Rachel, I came home on Wednesday to a goat acting perfectly fine. Her skin is healing, and she runs from me when it is time to medicate her. That is always a good sign. 

Because the home team so kindly joined forces to take care of Spirit, I was able to sneak away for a few delightful days.  Bravo and I spent hours swimming, training, walking, snuggling, and visiting with some of our favorite people. He won a nice stack of ribbons.  I relaxed deeply, smiled, and laughed lots. At one point I was chest-deep in the clear water of Ossipee lake, completely alone. No boats broke the smooth water, no people dotted the beach. I was admiring the mountains and firs when a large bird flew into view. "Oh, let it be an eagle..." I wished. It was. It flew closer, its bright white head gleaming. Then it dove with a mighty splash and rose, a flapping fish held tightly in its talons. I was the only observer. Gifted. 

As for my good dog, he enjoyed every tail-wagging moment. 

Sometimes goofy. 

Other times regal. 
He was tired at night and clearly wondered where I planned to sleep! 

He even got a "Pup Cup." Ice cream with a dog cookie garnish. 



I loved our trip but was glad to get home to well livestock and Al Fresco meals. This interlude reminded me just how lucky I am, on so many levels. Family, friends, pets, long swims in crystal clear lakes... I am blessed beyond measure. 


No comments: