Friday, October 15, 2021

"It's good to go away..."

Whenever we'd return from a vacation, as he turned up our long, wooded driveway, my dad would sigh deeply and quip, "It's good to go away, but good to come home again, too." 

As much as I loved my time in Maui, I am happy to be home. When it comes right down to it, this is my most favorite place to be. Much like my dad, I have great fun going away, but home is the place that makes me sigh with contentment. 

There is so much to love here. The foliage is at its peak, and there is beauty everywhere I look. 
A Great Blue Heron has been hanging out in our pasture for days, hunting. It's fun to watch as it stalks whatever it is hunting. Bugs? Mice? I don't know, but it must be finding something that makes it want to hang around. 


It's good to look out the window and see the goats. They seem to be enjoying the lovely weather. They were cuddling adorably today as they napped on Billy Goat Gruff Bridge. 

Since it's fall, I've been doing some seasonal cleaning. All the curtains have been taken down and washed, and the ace crew of window washers have been out to leave my windows sparkling.

While we were on vacation, I looked for a souvenir that would remind me of our time in paradise yet fit in with my funky vintage decor. I scored an antique bottle that delights me. 


It says, "Property of Maui Soda Works." I love the way the old glass bottles look when light streams through my freshly polished windows. 


I'm happy to be back at work, too. Today I groomed a string of extra cute dogs, including Pearl, one of my all-time favorites. She is a Kerry Blue Terrier, a breed I rarely get to work with. Her owners are delightful, too, the kind of people (and dog) that make me glad that I do what I do for a living. 

One thing I am not so thrilled about here at home is that in the fall, Deer Mice are looking for a place to stay for the cold months. They don't hibernate in winter or have the ability to store extra fat to see them over during the lean times, so they like to find a place that is warm and has a ready food source. Like my pantry. I think they are pretty cute, with their neat white feet and bellies and extra-large eyes, but NOT IN MY HOUSE. So I've declared war on them. I dislike using poison for many reasons, so employ snap traps. It is my hope that their last thought is happy, "Oooh, delicious peanut butter, my favorite snack!" an instant before they get sent to mouse heaven. 

In Maui, adorable little Geckos could be seen scampering about in the estate. MUCH cuter than mice. Maybe "away" is better after all. 




No comments: