Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Wowie, Maui...

 Last spring sister Deb called and said, "I have NEWS!" You have to know something about Deb, she is endlessly kind. A teacher for 32 years, she also tutors children. One family she tutors for showed their appreciation for her work in an incredible way. They gifted her the use of their beautiful estate on Maui for a week this fall. And because my sister is so nice, she invited us to join her on this once-in-a-lifetime trip. 


We plotted, planned, and dreamed of Hawaii all summer. At some point during this time, my niece Elyse and her boyfriend decided it would be sweet to tie the knot in a tropical paradise, so planned a Maui wedding and joined in on the trip. They married overlooking an incredible vista of mountains and sea, and I only cried a little bit, remembering Elyse as a golden-haired toddler, not so long ago. 


The place we stayed far exceeded our expectations. A fabulous home nestled into the center of 4 flawlessly landscaped acres, it was wonderfully private. Guests could choose one of 4 bedrooms, each with a private bath. Two of the rooms were actually suites, with their own sitting area and kitchenette. An endless deck wrapped around the entire place, and an enormous koi pond with a bubbling fountain made for a lovely place to sit quietly and think peaceful thoughts. 

We picked oranges, lemons, and limes from the groves on the property. Absolutely the most delicious citrus I've ever eaten. There was a swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, and tennis court to enjoy, and enjoy them we did. 

We drove a bit of the Road to Hana, and walked down to stunning Twin Falls, where Deb, Aimee, and I took a delightful swim. Cross that dream off my bucket list! 


We went to the beach as often as we could, my favorite was Baby Beach, where a small reef reduced the size of the surf, making it a grand place to frolic in the ocean. 

I wanted to see a sea turtle, and as we parked at Baby Beach for the first time a man said to me, "There's a turtle on the beach. It swam right past me and headed for the sand." I could hardly believe my luck. 

Sure enough... just past the pathway to reach the beach were some big rocks and an even bigger turtle. 
We saw it there on more than one occasion, sleeping peacefully in the sun. There were more turtles to be seen later, at a different spot. A whole "herd" of them warming themselves on the sand at dusk. 
Chris drove us to the top of Mount Haleakala, where we marveled at the amazing view spread before us. 


We had some memorable meals and lots of laughs. I relaxed deeply, and enjoyed time spent with family. 




Maui was marvelous. 


No comments: