Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Changes...

 Life is full of changes. When I started my business 7 years ago I worked alone and loved it. Two years later I fell and dislocated my shoulder and was out of commission for a long, long time.  Sweet daughter Rachel jumped in to save me, working her regular job and grooming a few days a week.  I was anxious to get back to my "normal" schedule and let her get on with her own life. But after a while, I began to realize I would be terribly sad for her to go. I kept my lips zipped, not wanting to deter her from her plans.  One happy day she said, "You know, I really like working here with you. May I stay?" I did a little happy dance, and we have worked together almost every day since. There are lots of laughs, and we make an exceptionally good team. One customer said, "Watching the two of you together is like watching water ballet." 

Now she is on maternity leave and I am back to working alone. I am getting into the rhythm of the thing, and it is fine. I miss the easy comradery Rachel and I have,(not to mention the fact that she always does the heavy lifting!)  but she cheers me up by sending frequent pictures and videos of the baby. Today I got a video of her smiling a precious little lopsided grin, and I was happy all day thinking about it. More changes will come in a few months when Rachel and baby come to work. I can hardly wait. 

Our customers have been amazing. Some kindly moved/canceled appointments while I was with Rachel as she labored. Many have brought gifts. Every day I assemble a pile of presents that look like we've had a baby shower. With every gift, Rachel says, "How lucky to have a well-loved baby!" Indeed.

I sometimes like to change up the furniture around here. I almost exclusively buy second-hand pieces, cheap, but I saw two new upholstered chairs online that tickled my fancy and were reasonably priced. I took a risk and ordered them. They arrived this week, and are a nice size, adorable shape, and have pretty fabric. The downside? Sitting in them is akin to perching on a concrete slab. Since Chris and I hang out on the ugly but OH SO COMFY sofa, this does not affect us as all, but I suspect visitors won't choose to stay long. (On that note, our son-in-love stopped in tonight and pronounced the new chairs to be "the most comfortable you've ever had." This is the same guy that happily sleeps on a hard floor.)  

It's been a lovely fall.  Quite a lot of rain, but no snow and fairly mild temperatures. I have a light fleece jacket hanging by the door to wear while I do chores and have been lacing up my sneakers for outside work. This morning I looked out the bedroom window and saw the world coated in thick frost. I took a moment and gathered my trusty Muck boots and Carhartt jacket from the closet.  I am ready to face the changing season. 



No comments: